Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Question Three Response

One situation that I found difficult was when I was working this past weekend actually.  There was a lady who didn’t speak English very well and I managed to find her the right product but when she was asking about buying fish I found it very difficult to explain to her why she shouldn’t get that type of fish because more often than not they will die or be a nuisance.

In the end I gave her the fish but it was very frustrating because I knew she wasn’t aware of what she was getting herself involved in.  What I should have done was show her other fish and get her attention off those specific ones.

What I could have used from the film in this situation was definitely to be confident in what I was saying.  I tried to be confident in what I was explaining to her but I don’t think she understood what the fish were going to be like in her tank and how much maintenance they would be.

I should have adjusted my tone of voice to be more understanding and enthusiastic but confident.  It was probably too firm at times and not firm enough at others and the customer was just adamant at getting things done their way.

Also I used jargon a bit when I explained that the fish were livebearers.  I should have said that they have live babies every couple of weeks and could have up to forty babies at a time.

My tone of voice probably should have been more upbeat and enthusiastic as it is an interesting time when buying a pet but you have to find the right pet for you.

What should have happened is I should have told her in confidence why the fish would not be great in her tank and then go to show her other fish that would be better without referring to any jargon or if I have to explain it thoroughly.  I should also keep my tone of voice and body language in mind because I don’t want to send them the wrong message and in the end the customer needs to leave happy and have fish that will be around for a long time and that aren’t a nuisance.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate the care and effort that you took to make this a complete entry. 15/15

    ReplyDelete