Thursday, October 21, 2010

Serving Customers with Disabilities

One tip that I would give my staff if they were assisting someone with a disability would be to let them talk for themselves.  When I’m being picky about what to eat and my mom makes suggestions for me and talks for me it drives me crazy so I can definitely relate to that.  If they want help they are not afraid to ask for it because chances are they have to many times a week.
Try to visualize yourself in their situation.  They have lived with their disability and become accustomed to it and have worked hard at getting routine tasks down pat.  They see themselves as being like everybody else because it’s what they are used to therefore you should see them as being just like you - independent.
Don’t categorize them and make them do something they don’t want to do.  It’s fine to have a section available for them if they need it such as an area that can comfortably seat a wheelchair but if they don’t want to sit at the front where it may be easier for them, don’t force them to just give them the option.
It is extremely important to not draw attention to their disability.  If you had acne you wouldn’t want anybody staring at that, so don’t stare at them because it’s just the polite thing to do.
When dealing with a guest that is deaf offering pen and paper may help if they want it but don’t yell at them and don’t over accentuate your words.  If they can read your lips you should talk normally but not too fast so that they can process what you’re trying to say.

1 comment: